Friday 28 September 2012

Life's Purpose


I have just been listening to the plaintive cry of Bono in the U2's song, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for” which got me thinking.
I use to often think "What is the purpose of my life?" “What am I here for, I know there is something I must do, there is some thing that I am 'meant' to do, but what?”
In fact, I've heard many men and women, at some point, that don't know what they're really here for. They're not necessarily religious or spiritually inclined, but they feel a longing for that "certain something" that defines and integrates their lives.
First, I think everyone feels a pull towards some defining purpose to his or her life, no matter how much it may have become shut out of sight. You can say that all forms of life, all natural phenomena, have some purpose. There's always movement or evolution towards some kind of outcome, whether it's a tree that produces fruit or clouds that form to produce rain. But we humans become so enthralled by our daily activities, engagements and goals, that our awareness of our own unique life purpose is easily dimmed.
And there are consequences to not knowing or finding your purpose. Some people who've become successful in their work or relationships, yet feel hollow, empty or unfulfilled. Sometimes they wonder if they've been on the "wrong" path all along, chosen the wrong career or the wrong life partner. Perhaps their chosen path could be more meaningful or purposeful to them, if they let it.
I think most people retain at least a glimmer of awareness of their life's purpose within themselves. It often feels like a leaning that continues to pull at you. Sometimes it is right in front of your eyes but you don't allow yourself to see it.
Those who experience these feelings but don't pursue or fulfil them remain incomplete and dissatisfied; this is what I did myself for years. However, it's important not to confuse seeking happiness with finding your purpose. Happiness is what you experience in the daily flow of life, the highs and lows that are situational. They will fluctuate. But purpose is deeper. When you're living in accordance with your life's purpose, you view all of the above as part of what you encounter along the road. They don't distract you from that larger vision, which is like a magnet steadily pulling you towards it.

So, what is my purpose? What am I leaning to? What is pulling at me?  Well, when I was young, and I am talking when I was about five or six years of age, I had a constant vision.  It was very clear and very vivid; there was a girl on a truck, stood in the back surrounded by gifts.  The truck was heading down this long dirt track, it was so hot and the atmosphere was heavy.  After a while, the truck entered what appeared to be a small village and all of a sudden, smiling, happy children, holding their arms out and shouting with joy, surrounded the truck.  It was Africa, the truck had gone there to distribute gifts at Christmas, and that was me on the back of the truck, giving these amazing children things they had only dreamed about.

This vision has stayed with me through everything I have done up to now, and I believe that this is what made me decide to end my career and go to University to Study a varied degree including Sustainable Development.  I feel my purpose is to make a difference, no matter how large or how small, in the lives of people.

So, whats your purpose? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment