Monday 3 December 2012

Emotional Self-Esteem


Oooh what a topic I have chosen to blog about this evening.  Sooo many levels to this and so many paths to go down, I certainly don't want to start blogging too much about this kind of thing, however, I blog about things that are on my mind and this topic is certainly something that has been, umm, is, ummm, well, it's an issue anyway.

A sense of personal wellness, vitality and robustness comprise in my eyes some of the most important components of self-esteem.  It is very difficult to feel good about one self when you're feeling physically and emotionally tired, weak or have/are ill.  I have just had one horrible cold/flu whatever it was, it was some next level stuff - so I totally know that this can certainly effect your self-esteem.  But - here's a big but, feelings, those bloomin' feelings can play a HUGE role in tugging on the old self-esteem strings.

When your out of touch with your feelings, its hard to know who you are.  I think you tend to feel internally detached from yourself and very often fearful, about anything.  By identifying and most importantly expressing the full range of your feelings, you can become better acquainted with your own unique desires, needs - yearnings... It is then that you begin to feel yourself again - but do you???

Learning to express your feelings apparently takes time, courage and the willingness to be vulnerable in the presence of others whom you trust.  Personally, I do not have any trouble what so ever with showing and expressing my feelings, I wear my heart on my sleeve.  This can also be problematic, I will refer back to a previous blog on being too sensitive, being expressive with ones feelings sometimes doesn't do you any good either.  

When your brain is working at a crazily fast rate, things tend to come out of your mouth before you have actually thought about the repercussions of what you have said.  I do this a lot, it is not that I do not mean what I say, I always mean what I say, but I say too much.  Yes, it is who I am, it is how I have been brought up, it probably will serve me well in my future career after I graduate, it has certainly served me well in my past career too, but sometimes, it is just as well to keep ones feelings close to ones self, as there is a time and a place for them.  If you are too expressive, I am finding that it can actually do quite the opposite of what you intended it to do in the first place.

How does one simply stop being ones self - I do not have the answer to this.  Maybe the older you get the wiser you get I don't know... but the point of this blog is that feelings certainly do have an impact of your own self-esteem - it is important to be in touch with them, to be aware of them - but I am just not sure what you actually do with them??????  Typing a blog about it can help a bit ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment